“And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.”
~ Anais Nin
Spring is here serving up her specialty of love and new beginnings! What better time to boldly partner two of the most mythologically famed aphrodisiacs: avocado and chocolate?!? Fresh, lusciously delectable California avocados are in season from April-September! Whoopeee! If I could only eat one food for the rest of my life it would definitely have to be an AvocadoDurianKaleVeganBurritoChocolateMango… What?!?
Get in on the love. Take a culinary gamble. Throw your mouth a party. Chocholics beware. This recipe is a double batch because, yes, it is that good.
- 5-6 large ripe California avocados
- 1 1/4 C medjool dates (roughly 16 dates pitted & soaked 10-20 minutes)
- 2-4 Tbsp pure maple syrup
- 4 tsp pure vanilla bean powder or 2 Tbsp pure vanilla extract (non-alcohol)
- 3 Tbsp raw organic extra-virgin coconut oil (I recommend Nutiva or Artisana Brand. For a blast of coconutty deliciousness use Artisana Coconut Butter or Nutiva Coconut Mana)
- 2 tsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 1/4 C raw carob powder
- generous 1/2 C raw cacao powder
- pinch Himalayan pink salt
- hearty portion of organic sliced strawberries, blueberries and sliced banana (optional)
- sprinkling of hemp seeds and raw cacao nibs (optional)
- Using a food processor blend avocado meat, dates, maple syrup, vanilla, coconut oil and balsamic vinegar until silky smooth.
- Blend in carob, cocao and salt until creamy.
- Chill in freezer for 10-20 minutes and serve over fresh sliced fruit. Sprinkle with raw cacao nibs and hemp seeds for extra healthful decadence.
- Ride you bike to your lover’s house
(AKA How to Justify Scarfing the Whole Bowl)
Avocado: anti-inflamatory, help regulate blood sugar, and are a better source of potassium than bananas! This green gift from the gods is a good source of dietary fiber, folate, vitamin K, and vitamin C.
Folate: suports red blood cell production, helps prevent anemia, supports healthy skin cells, is a natural preventative for dementia, and allows the nerves to function properly.
Vitamin K: natural preventative for prostate and liver cancer, ensures normal blood clotting, helps prevent bone fracture and bone density loss, and helps keep your arteries from calcifying.
Majool Dates: quite literally natures candy! They are a good source of dietary fiber, potassium, copper & manganese. (Maple Syrup is also an excellent source of manganese.)
potassium: responsible for maintaing your muscles and keeping your nerves functioning properly. Adequate potassium consumption helps prevent high blood pressure.
Copper: trace mineral that is essential for proper metabolism and thyroid function. Copper helps your body utilize iron and maintain healthy bones and connective tissues.
Manganese: essential trace mineral that helps maintain normal blood sugar, nerve and bone health, and protects the cells from free radical damage.
Raw Carob: naturally sweet, caffein-free, low-fat legume. It is an anti-dieretic that aids in the body’s elimination of toxins. It has 2 1/2 times more calcium than skim milk and is chock full of essential minerals.