(Yes, I did spell Turmeric incorrectly on my bulk self-labeled spice jar. On Purpose. What?)
Last month I got into a minor car accident. After the accident, I was experiencing a fair bit of discomfort along the left side of my neck and tension in the muscles under my left scapula. Enter Golden Turmeric Ambrosia of the gods! I’ve been drinking this hot golden cup of decadence (at least) twice a day and the inflammation has gone down considerably and the discomfort is much more manageable. Besides being delicious and an awesome anti-inflammatory, this drink has all kinds of other great health benefits. So many friends have been asking for my recipe that I decided to share it with all of you here. Love!
- 1 tsp. cardamom
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 2/3 cup / 160 ml good quality local honey
- 4 tblsp dried turmeric
- 1/2 tsp ground, dried ginger
- 1/8 tsp nutmeg
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
- 8-16 strands of saffron (optional)
– Mix all this stuff up. How you ask? Very carefully. I challenge you not to stain your fingers yellow! I use a couple spoons and good old elbow grease but maybe you have a pestle and morter laying around that is just longing to be forever stained yellow? When you’re done making this yumminess, store it in a small jar to be used whenever you get the hankering. (Last on the shelf supposedly forever but in my house it’s gone in less than a week.)
You’ll also need:
- Hearty portion freshly ground black pepper
- Homemade Brazil nut milk (my favorite), cashew milk, almond milk (or milk-like liquid of your choosing) Yum!!
- Take a heaping tablespoon of honey gooed golden ambrosia paste of epic turmeric goodness (this is it’s legal name) and add fill your cup 2/3 full with hot water.
- Top this off with the milk of your choice and a healthy serving of fresh ground pepper to support nutrient digestion and absorption. (Repeat every morning and evening!)
Why is this good for me?
- Natural antiseptic, antiviral, anti-fungal & antibacterial agent (Take that cold season!)
- Potent and safe anti-inflammatory
- Safe treatment for symptoms of arthritis
- Cancer prevention
- Improves liver function
- Lowers cholesterol
- May help prevent Alzheimer’s Disease
- Strong antioxidant
- Natural painkiller
- Speeds up wound healing
AND this is just the short list addressing the benefits of Turmeric. I didn’t event get into the positive health benefits of all the other spices!
This is a safe and fantabulously delicious medicinal drink. The only contraindication for turmeric is if you are currently being chemically treated for diabetes and/or high blood pressure. Turmeric could increase the strength of your medication, which could be dangerous, so talk to your doctor.